Republished with permission from Care2.com.
Acidity in the body has been linked to pain, excess weight and many other health issues.
In small amounts, acidic foods like sugar, food additives, meat, rancid oils, trans fats and fried food can be handled by your body’s detoxification systems—the kidneys as well as its mineral reserves. But, over time, acidity can have many damaging effects on the body.
Excessive amounts of acid deplete oxygen, which is needed by every cell in your body to function properly. It damages the mitochondria—the cells’ energy centers—so your cells won’t have enough energy to perform their vital functions properly. If not properly eliminated or neutralized, excessive amounts of acid can even damage brain cells and other cells.
Furthermore, acid can damage tissues, joints, organs and glands, resulting in any number of imbalances or dysfunction. Excessive amounts of acidity need to be eliminated or acid will be stored in tissues and joints, causing damage over time. It depletes alkaline mineral stores in the body, particularly calcium from bones and magnesium from muscles.
Fortunately, making your body more alkaline (the opposite of acidic) is easy. Here are 10 ways to alkalize your body for more energy and vitality:
1. Start your day with a large glass of water with the juice of a whole, freshly-squeezed lemon. While lemons may seem acidic, they have the opposite effect on your body as it metabolizes them.
2. Eat a large green salad tossed in lemon juice and olive oil. Greens are among the best sources of alkaline minerals, like calcium.
3. Snack on raw, unsalted almonds. Almonds are packed with natural alkaline minerals like calcium and magnesium, which help to balance out acidity while balancing blood sugar.
5. Go for a brisk walk or some other exercise every day. Exercise helps move acidic waste products so your body can better eliminate them.
7. Stick to a plant-based diet. During the metabolism of meat, there is an acid residue left behind.
8. Skip the sugar-laden dessert or soda. Sugar is one of the most acidic foods we consume. You need over 30 glasses of neutral water just to neutralize the acidity of ONE can of soda.
9. Add more veggies to your diet. No, potatoes don’t count. But sweet potatoes are a good choice (provided you’re not slathering them in sweeteners or butter). Asparagus, squash, peppers and other vegetables are also excellent choices.