You have probably heard term organic food a lot of times. And when you decide to browse and look for advice about healthy lifestyle online, you had a chance to read about organic food and how healthy living also implies eating healthy, organic food. And if you already jumped into the organic way of life, there are still some things that you probably don’t know about organic food. The purpose of this article is to reveal some facts about organic food that you need to know.
Why is it called organic food?
The term organic food refers to all agricultural products that are produced without hormones, antibiotics, chemical fertilizers, genetic engineering, chemical weed killers and insecticides. That is what everybody knows. However, this doesn’t mean that pesticides cannot be used for the production of this type of food.
Even though chemical pesticides are forbidden, people are still able to use organically approved pesticides. It should also be noted that organic food standards differ in many countries. For example, in the United States, Department of Agriculture regulates organic food standards.
Some organic foods contain a percentage of non-organic ingredients, but these ingredients should be listed on the label.
Things You Need to Know
1. Organic food isn’t a modern idea – organic food is popular now, but most people consider it as some sort of trend, which is false. Before the World War II, all agricultural crops were organic, only after the war farmers started using chemical substances to protect their crops and to ensure their growth.
2. Skincare - as it was mentioned above, organic food is extremely beneficial for the skin. Due to lack of preservatives, chemical substances, or pesticides, the skin is healthier, clearer and has a healthy glow. It is recommended for people with the troubled skin to eat organic fruits and vegetables because everything you eat has positive or negative on the skin as well.
3. Environmental benefits – chemical pesticides used for growing conventional crops can damage the soil, animals, and water. Production of organic food creates less waste.
4. Health benefits – even though there are many arguments against that claim, the truth is organic food does have some health benefits comparing to conventional food. For example, antioxidant capacity, some studies have confirmed that antioxidants which derive from organic foods have a higher impact on person’s health than antioxidants from conventional foods. This is because organic food doesn’t include any chemicals which would interfere with vitamins and nutrients.
It is needless to mention that our body needs a high level of vitamins and minerals, for the sake of our overall health and for the skincare as well. In order to have a healthy skin with nice glow you should eat foods that contain high level of minerals, vitamins etc, and organic fruit and foods that don’t contain any chemical ingredients are perfect for emphasizing your real beauty.
5. Improves immune system – if you buy non-organic meat, the chances are high that the certain animal was treated with antibiotics. This can actually deteriorate your immune system because it is overdosing you with the antibiotics and alters your immune system too many times it is eventually too weak to defend itself. Organic meat is antibiotics free, which is beneficial for your immune system.
6. Organic and natural isn’t the same – you often see terms “natural” or “all natural”, but it is not same as organic. Natural means that a specific food isn’t processed too much, or that it doesn’t include additives, but only foods approved by the USDA is organic.
7. Skip “organic” seafood – when it comes to fish and other seafood there are no regulations that would determine what’s sustainable or organic.
8. Safer – organic foods are safer. Pesticides used for growing vegetables and fruits in conventional production cannot be rinsed off. It’s not that simple. The water can wash off some pesticides from the surface, but they still remain on the inside. If you want to eat quality foods that don’t contain any chemical substances on the surface or the inside, then organic food is right for you.
9. Beneficial during pregnancy – many women choose to eat organic food during their pregnancy because they don’t want to endanger their baby with the additives, preservatives, and other ingredients found in conventional food.
Organic food is beneficial for our overall health because it doesn’t contain any chemical ingredients, additives, or preservatives. Also, it is good for our appearance as well due to a positive effect on our skin and expresses our real beauty.