One of the most common problems faced by about 25 to 30 percent of the global population, but still not treated as a serious medical issue is bad breath. Yes, it has been experienced by many people in all age groups and is a factor in poor oral hygiene.
This disorder can hinder your confidence and also stop you from communicating with people around you. The poor dental hygiene, food particles trapped in teeth, bacteria present on tongue, indigestion, heartburn, ulcer, and other such oral or digestive disorders are at the base of this issue. If you are facing this problem and haven’t found any satisfactory solution yet then here are the remedial measures that would definitely work to freshen up your breath.
Find the root cause
As mentioned earlier, there are many reasons that together cause bad breath. You may first find out the root cause of this issue to treat it well. If your oral hygiene is the reason then you can see it easily as it is visible from your teeth. Yellow plaque on the teeth says it all. Your brushing habits and cleanliness would also reveal whether you are maintaining your oral hygiene or not.
The other underlying issue would be indigestion. The food you eat should be digested well in order to get rid of the bad breath. If the cause is indigestion then you would feel heaviness in stomach, heartburn, or acid reflux which may indicate that the root cause is indigestion. If your tongue has a white layer on it then also it can be possible that the indigestion is the root cause for bad breath.
Natural Remedies for Bad Breath
These natural remedies for bad breath may be taken to address the root cause of this ailment.
- Don’t let your mouth stay dry. Saliva has the microbes that fight the bacteria causing bad breath. If your mouth feels dry frequently then you need to increase the water intake. Take more water at regular intervals. Avoid dryness of mouth. Gargles of fresh water may also freshen up your mouth.
- Brushing your teeth in the morning is important but apart from that, brushing teeth after every meal is equally important. Make it a practice to gargle or brush the teeth after all meals to avoid the trapping of bacteria and food particles in teeth. Use of floss is also very much recommended.
- If you want to go natural then chewing fennel seeds, cloves, and cardamom would work as natural mouth freshener. Raw fruits and vegetables also clean your teeth while giving a good massage to the gums.
- There are certain herbs, which can be chewed fresh to get rid of mouth odor. These herbs include mint, cilantro, and basil. There is sufficient chlorophyll in these herbs that may act as odor neutralizer.
- Acid reflux due to undigested food is a cause of bad breath. Digestion can be improved by taking fiber rich food and including more water in the diet.
- Salads and juices have so many digestive enzymes that the regular consumption of these foods and drinks would give instant results.
- If natural diet change is not working for your digestion then check out for over the counter drugs that contain natural enzymes for digestion.
- Fennel, which is natural mouth freshener, would also work positively on your digestive system. Having fennel seeds after meals would accelerate the process of digestion by triggering the release of key digestive juices.
- Having small meals would also aid the digestion as your body will get enough time to break and absorb fats, and digest them well.
- If you are facing digestive issues then avoid oily and greasy foods as these foods will be tough to digest and can cause heartburn and acid reflux.
- Include more green leafy vegetables in your diet as these vegetables have natural flushing properties and are rich in chlorophyll, fiber, and vitamins.
The above remedies should be routine as these are the habits that will go a long way in treating this embarrassing situation forever. A natural lifestyle change is much better compared to heavy medications and alcohol infused mouthwash, so make sure to include these in your lifestyle.